Les Houches has a different style of skiing to many of the other ski resorts of Chamonix. The wide pistes meander in and out of tree lined rolling hills that make it a perfect location for families or beginner to intermediate skiers and snowboarders. Les Houches’ slopes also provide great powder conditions and better visibility for the white-out days when the rest of Chamonix is in cloud. Often it is less crowded on a powder day and you will get more fresh tracks than on the Grand Montets (just be aware of the school holidays!).
The large ski area links to St Gervais and covers a vast range of beginner and intermediate runs as well as the black run ‘la Verte des Houches’ that hosts the world renowned downhill competition Kandahar .
New for the 2009/10 winter season was the introduction of Area 43 – the DC Winter Snow Park with huge table tops, gap jumps and rails. You can spot pro-riders getting big air and pulling off signature tricks or compete in some of the local and international competitions that are held throughout the season.
There really is something for everyone here in Les Houches. If you are staying out of Les Houches the daily ski bus runs regularly from Chamonix throughout the day. Chamonix Holidays can offer you self-catered holiday rental accommodation in Les Houches.
Bus Service in Les Houches:
- This season there will be a frequent bus service every 15mins throughout the village.
Without a car:
Transport to Chamonix Town:
- If you would like to go shopping or to a restaurant and have a night out in Chamonix town HAUTE TRANSFER offer an in-resort taxi service for 35€ per single trip (up to 8 guests).
Transport to SKI in other Chamonix Ski areas with HAUTE TRANSFER:
- Grand Montets and Le Tour cost 40€ per single trip (up to 8 guests).
- Le Brevent and Flegere 30€ per single trip (up to 8 guests).
Transport for DAY TRIPS to ski in neighbouring areas:
- Day trips to Courmayeur privates are 150€ return or shared 25€ per person return.
- Verbier is shared 35€ return or private 250€ return.
- Megeve, Contamines, Zermatt, La Clusaz, Morzine and Flaine please contact us for a quote.
Main Super Market:
- The Super U is the main supermarket in Les Houches. It is located at the far end of Les Houches from Maison Neuve Chalets.
Address: 0 Le Borgeat
74310 Les Houches, France
PH: 04 50 55 51 70
- Super U offer a delivery service to your accommodation. You can shop online www.superu-leshouches.com and for a fee of 4€ they will prepare your basket and delivery costs: under 120€ = 7€ for delivery or over 120€ = Free.
Without a car:
- Use HAUTE TRANSFER for 30€ per single trip (up to 8 guests). We can book this for you.
There is also a SHOPI Supermarket in the centre of Les Houches that is a little quicker to drive to than the Super U, it is near the Town Marie.
32 place de la Mairie
74310 Les Houches
+33(0) 4 50 54 40 26
Les Houches offers Children’s and Adults Ski Lessons from the Prarion Ski Lift. There is ample parking for you here if you wish to drive down from the Maison Neuve.
You can book directly with ESF. ESF also offer Famille Plus – which is ski and day care for your children so that you are free to ski all day!
Place du Prarion
74310 Les Houches
+33(0) 4 50 54 48 79
ARTS & CRAFTS & BIRTHDAYS
- Le Petit VIP is a children’s arts, crafts & entertainment service run by English and French speaking professionals who will come to your accommodation and run arts and crafts sessions for your children. They can also provide a birthday party service that can include birthday tea, cake, face painting, games and other fun activities.
- You can book a session for 2 hours or more for your children for a rainy cold day or to just give the kids a break from skiing. Bookings must be for a minimum of 2 children.
- They provide all the materials, protective clothing, table covers etc for an enjoyable holiday activity.
- Email or call on firstname.lastname@example.org 06 78 22 59 35 www.lepetitvip.com
ICE RINK LES HOUCHES
The ice rink of Les Houches is a natural and outdoor ice rink, situated in the heart of the village. Skate in front of the Mont Blanc massif! It is also open in the evening.
Opening periods: From 12/19/11 to 10/03/12: depending on snow conditions
25 avenue des Alpages
74310 Les Houches
Phone : +33(0) 4 50 54 52 99
Professional mushers, Christophe and Elisabeth selected and raised their Huskies to offer you the best. They suggest introducing you to dog sledding during all winter.
Furthemore the Tourist office of Les Houches/Servoz have pre-reserved some dates below: 5 sleds available per rotation, in the morning or afternoon.
This activity consists about 15mn of briefing and 45mn of harness and driving.
Pre-reserved dates for Winter 2011: Booking obligatory at the Tourist Office of Les Houches/Servoz.
- In December, 20th and 27th (morning and afternoon)
- In January, 3rd and 10th (afternoon)
- In February, 7th (morning, 14th, 21st and 28th (morning and afternoon)
- In March, 6th (morning and afternoon) and 13th (morning)
Normal Operating Hours - Open all winter long depending on the snow conditions
Prices : WINTER 2012
Adult : 60€ , Children (from 7 to 11 yrs) : 40€ , Small children (under 7 yrs with the musher) : 25€ , Family (2 adults and 2 children’s from 7 to 11 yrs) : 175€
Phone : +33(0) 6 84 99 34 67